It can be stressful for both you and your child when they are introduced to a new environment. It could be their first day of school, a new classroom, or a new childcare. It can be emotionally challenging for children to be separated from their parents, even just for a little while. Settling into a new environment for young ones is a huge step and it is normal if they are having trouble with it.
Here are 6 tips you can use to help your child manage separation anxiety and settle into a new space:
- Familiarise your child with their educators and classmates
- Ask if they want to bring a comfort object with them
- Establish a goodbye routine to prepare them for the separation
- Empathise with them
- Stay connected with your child
- Create a routine — a fixed sleep/wake-up time
With these 6 tips, your child will be ready to step into a new social environment and learn how to manage their anxieties and worries!
Read here to find out how you can use these tips to help your child.